Friday 11 June 2021

Why I Think Narnia is Blasphemous


“Oh you have to come again and ruin our fun”

Yes, I know. I am a boring person. I don`t care. If the best thing for the soul of your kid is inventing his own world as entertainment, then that`s just to bad. I am not sending everyone to hell. I am not saying all books are evil. I am just going to say something about Narnia that perhaps you did not expected.

Look: Narnia is a magical world populated by magical creatures. It was created by Aslan, a lion with Divine powers, who will usually bring children of this world to Narnia and the books narrate their adventures, as well as the history of Narnia. Innocent? Nah.

First you have a “divine” Lion who is creating a world. I know, it`s an obviously false lion, children are not going to worship Aslan. Maybe there is nothing wrong with having a “divine” being in works of fiction, but I seriously think it is not a good sign. I am not comfortable with it.

But then you have the lion Dying and Resurrecting in the same fashion Our Lord Jesus Christ did. Aslan is an alternative Christ. And this is blasphemous. It would be fine if Aslan was merely having a Christ-like death and sacrifice, but it should not be an exact analogy of what happened with Jesus Christ. Lions are irrational animals.

But wait, there is more! In “The Dawn Threader”, Lucy and Edmund are brought to the end of Narnia. Aslan appears to them in the shape of a lamb and tells them the following:

“I am… but there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

This implies that Aslan is not just a Christ-like copy-paste figure. This implies that Aslan IS Jesus Christ, whom the kids need to find in their world. See? In fact, Lewis wrote to a child, who was afraid he loved Aslan more than Jesus, that he needed not to feel thus because Aslan IS Jesus.

Narnia is basically writing fan fiction with Jesus. For those who don`t know Fan Fiction is when you write your own stories using the characters and worlds of a work of fiction not written by you. This is something fans, geeks and soyboys do all the time with the characters of Star Wars, Harry Potter and Game of Thrones.  But doing it with The Second Person of the Holy Trinity? Please. It is certainly NOT reverent. You are controlling like a puppet He who controls the Heavens and Seas. You are putting words in His Mouth and actions in His Hands. He is absolutely free and independent, yet you subject him to your own fantasies. How can this be not blasphemous and irreverent? I am not saying Lewis actually wanted to blaspheme, I am just saying that even if he did not willed to do so, he ended up doing it.  Narnia implies that Jesus is not just God and Man, he is God, man, and Lion. It`s problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment